Friday, February 28, 2014

Milestones

I love milestones. I'm kind of a junky for recording and revisiting significant dates in my life and probably reading way too much into how timelines correlate, intersect, overlap, etc. It's a sickness. It's possible I need some therapy, but we'll talk about that some other time.

For now, here's what I want to tell you: Today marks the 5-year anniversary of when I first met Vermont in person. My family boarded a plane in Nashville that morning and some time much later, we all stepped on snowy, rocky Vermont soil for the very first time in each of our lives. We were here "in view of a call" to Middletown Springs Community Church. And the rest, as they say, is history. 'Cause bless their little hearts, they "called" us. :-) We tried to warn them (seriously, we really did), but they called us anyway. I'm so glad.

That began a crazy journey that I've written about repeatedly, so I won't bore you with the whole long story again. I just want to highlight one excerpt. As many of you know (by which I mean the 4 of you who read this stuff), my family and I were divided for 9 months when they moved to Vermont in August, and I stayed in Nashville to continue my job while trying to sell our house there. Again, a long story I won't repeat. So just this: As I'm sure you can imagine, there were many, many moments during that time that I was heartsick to miss. Lots of "firsts" for my sweet Macy and Grace that I couldn't witness firsthand. Lots of exhausting days for Jared during which I couldn't really comfort or help him very effectively. Hard days. And as silly as it sounds, one of the moments that stands out most in my mind was when The Paramount theater showed The Wizard of Oz on the big screen, and I couldn't go. It's silly really, but this is me we're talking about, so don't act surprised, k? ;-) Of all the things I missed, this one resonated more intensely than just about any other. Something about the idea of experiencing one of my children's favorite movies in this old, ornate, beautiful little historic theater just seemed magical to me. But there I sat in Nashville. I didn't get to see their eyes light up when they first walked into that place. I didn't get to sit between them and hear them giggle and gasp throughout the film. Sad. Just a movie. I know. But still. Sad.

BUT! Guess what. 'Member how I told you today is our 5-year anniversary of meeting Vermont? Guess what's playing at The Paramount tonight.



Yep.

That movie in this place:




So cool.

Guess who'll be there:


Yeah buddy.

And again, I know-- it's just a movie to most people. But to me, it's God saying, "I know you're a weirdo, 'cause I designed you that way. :-) But I also know you'll like this, so look what I did! Happy Anniversary. Here's another reminder of how I'm redeeming your time in Vermont. You're welcome." Silly? For sure. Personal? I sure think so. I believe God loves us much more personally than we ever dare believe. WHY WOULD HE DO THAT? I don't know, but I'm really glad he does.


No comments: