Monday, June 3, 2013

The Big Move: an Essay by Grace Wilson

I love the end of the school year when the girls start bringing home art folders and writing projects. Grace brought home this gem today.

The Big Move

     One day I got told that we were going to move to Vermont. It was a very exciting yet scary and sad adventure for me. This is the story of how I learned about Vermont and how my experience was on this big move.

     When I was 5 years old, in kindergarten, I got told that our family was going to move to Vermont. At first I was very confused, because I didn't even know that Vermont existed. I didn't even know if it was a city or a state! When I figured out where, why and when we were going to move, I was a little sad, because I was smart enough to figure out that that meant I was going to have to leave all my friends and even my Mom for a little while, so she could take care of the house and talk to the realtor about stuff. Mom told me that she was still going to fly up to Vermont a few times, but I was still sad. In fact, I was devastated.

     We still lived in my Nashville house for a few more days so we could pack and Dad could talk to our realtor too. I wasn't happy even though I still got to stay a few more days. I didn't want to leave my bedroom, my friends, my church, or my school, and most of all, I didn't want to leave my Mom in Tennessee. I knew I had to though, because the whole reason we moved was because Middletown Springs Community Church needed a pastor, and my Dad was going to be that pastor!

     On the last day in Tennessee and the last day living with everything in Tennessee, I went to school and got my class's and my teacher's (Miss Adams) phone number on a piece of orange construction paper. I lost it before we were even in the car, but I didn't care much because I knew I was going to lose it in Vermont anyway. When it was time to go, our car was loaded with our clothes, books, blankets, toys, snacks for the trip, movies, art supplies, treasures, plastic jewelry, pillows, and almost anything a little girl could do anything with. It was time to go.

     It took 2 days to get from Tennessee to Vermont, and I enjoy road trips, so it was pretty fun for me. I liked staying in the hotel for the night in between the 2 days it took to get here. Macy (my sister) and I were pretty occupied in the car with all our toys and things. It felt like such a long time in the car, because I was a little less disappointed and actually a little excited about moving by then, and it always feels like a longer time when you are excited about it. I don't know what made me change my mind.

     When we finally got to the new house, I really wanted to see what the house looked like. When I got out of the car and went into the house, I felt strange and different, since I was in a place and even state I have never been to before. I looked in all the rooms, and I looked at all the land around the house that we were renting. That day I was very happy and learned a very valuable lesson through those first few weeks.

     The lesson I learned is that even though you may be scared, and even a little mad about things, they almost always turn out to be good. I look back now and think, "Why was I mad?", because now I am here in Vermont, in a wonderful place, with a wonderful community, with wonderful friends. You should never be scared. You should always know that everything will almost always turn out to be ok. This lesson will help me later on for when I am scared. I will just think about when I moved and everything turned out to be ok.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh, she is so sweet! It's encouraging to know the perspective that a young girl can have about things. If the Lord continues to lead as we expect, we'll be moving in a couple of years to plant a church and the scariest part for me is moving our girls who will then be 9,6, and 4. I love that God cares about their hearts and well being more than I do!