Monday, October 15, 2012

Update on Dylan

I'm told she "did very well" in the ambulance (about an hour and a half drive). They are treating her pain with morphine, so she has been comfortable and has gotten some sleep. 

Doctors have confirmed that she has either Stevens Johnson Sydrome or Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TENS), which are very similar. My sister Vickie (who is a nurse) says that most doctors would say that one is just a more severe form of the other, but the treatment is pretty much the same for either. Basically, her body is developing blisters similar to second degree burns, and then the skin is sloughing off rapidly. I can't even imagine how painful that would be, especially for a little one. And the threat of infection through all those open wounds can be severe. Thank God for morphine (and that isn't a joke)!

Fortunately, it appears that the first doctor she saw reacted very quickly and appropriately to get her the right treatment as soon as possible. She was met by an entire team of doctors as soon as they arrived in Burlington who were immediately calming and positive. They say her labwork looks good, meaning no organ damage (other than her skin), and her white blood cell count looks good. It will take a couple days to get blood cultures back so that they know *exactly* what they're dealing with, but it sounds like they are confident enough in their initial analysis to begin addressing the most pressing concerns. Hopefully more (good) news tomorrow.

We are pleading for your prayers. Please keep them coming.

And PLEASE pray for my sister, Jody and her husband Jon. I am nauseated, so I can't even begin to imagine what they are feeling. Vick says Jody is handling everything with complete calm and strength, so please continue to give her strength with your prayer support.

And one last request--we've appointed Vickie the point person for now for direct communication (that's what happens when you're the nurse of the family) just to keep Jody and Jon from trying to juggle phone calls and emails all day every day. Certainly, they will want to hear from all the people who love their family, but maybe just not quite yet. Please feel free to reach out to me or anyone else you know in our family, and we will make sure they get every single message we see or hear.

I hope to go see them tomorrow (unless they forbid me because of germs or something), and I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

Please keep praying! Thank you!

6 comments:

Betsy said...

Thanks for update---we are in desperate prayer for you all, Betsy and Roland xxoo

Anonymous said...

Your whole family is in our prayers!!!! God will cradle that precious child and lay his loving hand on y'all!!! We love y'all!!

Jerry and Haley maywald

Farl said...

Thanks for the update Beck. Our prayers ate flowing. My heart breaks for Jody, Jon and of course Dylan, but I hold on to the fact that God is in control and is a gracious God . We love all of you.

Mark and Amy said...

Becky,
Oh I am so sorry. Thank you for the update. I saw it first on Jared's blog. Praying for all of you and especially Dylan.
Love, Amy.

Farl said...

Becky, thank you so much for keeping us posted on what is happening. I hate being so far away. I can't imagine what Jody and Jon are feeling, but I know that God is in control and He is a gracious God. Thanks for all that you are doing with the boys and being there for them. I love all of you.

Rachel said...

so crazy. def praying for your family