Monday, April 2, 2012

Invest Wisely

I am so incredibly blessed and honored to have so many treasured friends and mentors in my life who are older than me and far wiser than I likely ever will be. They teach me, sharpen me, encourage me, help me, love me. And they do it well. Time spent with such as these is one of the richest joys of my life.


One of the most valuable lessons I've learned and probably the one that everyone whose opinions I value most unanimously agrees on is this:


Whatever you invest in during your 20s, 30s and 40s is almost definitely what you will have in your 50s, 60s and beyond.


If you primarily invest in yourself and spend most of your time and energy selfishly, you will likely be left with only yourself.


On the other hand, if you invest in others and truly desire to serve and love, you will likely be surrounded with those you've loved well.


I'm sure there are exceptions to this idea, but the more people I know, the more this seems to ring true. 


Lord, teach me to love well so that I might always be surrounded with people I love. And thank you so much for the treasured relationships in my life. May I always be among those surrounding them with as much love and honor as they have shown me.

No comments: