Sunday, February 27, 2011

Too Good to Read Just Once

Last night we had our 2nd Forge gathering in downtown Rutland. Chris Booth spoke about God and God-centeredness and how to find infinite joy in being God-centered. Not fleeting happiness. Infinite joy. This is a man whose wife died of cancer last year. He wasn't speaking of vague ideas. He was testifying from firsthand experience to the glorious power of the gospel and how it can simultaneously wreck us, heal us, and bring infinite joy into even the most painful and completely devoid of happiness situations. One of his final thoughts was Psalm 63. Read it more than once. It's too good not to.

Psalm 63

My Soul Thirsts for You
A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
1O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in
a dry and weary land where there is no water.

2So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding
your power and glory.

3Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.

4So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your
name I will lift up my hands.

5My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,

6when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;

7for you have been my help,
and in
the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.

8My soul clings to you;
your right hand
upholds me.

9But those who seek to destroy my life
shall go down into
the depths of the earth;

10they shall be given over to the power of the sword;
they shall be a portion for jackals.

11But the king shall rejoice in God;
all who
swear by him shall exult,
for the mouths of
liars will be stopped.

No comments: