Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Love of Ty

Yesterday my sister Jody and her family drove away from Texas in a loaded UHaul truck. They are moving to Vermont. For me, this is some of the most amazing news ever. But of course, there are many people they are leaving behind who don't love this news as much as I do. Among them are my Mom and Dad, who love and adore their grandchildren better than anyone I know. Jody and Jon are moving 3 of their grandchildren about 2000 miles away from them. This is hard for them. My parents are some of the most supportive people in the world, and they are happy for my family and for Jody's family for so many reasons. It has always been the desire of mine and Jody's hearts to raise our families together. My parents know this. And it makes them happy. BUT that doesn't mean their absence won't hurt. A LOT.

And so there were tears. Of course. Lots of tears. And as Jody and her family were driving away, my nephew Ty from his pure and precious little 6-year-old heart said, "Mom, Grandmom's tears make my tears happen automatically."

WOW. That's just love, y'all. No pretense. No manipulation. No drama. Just a little boy who loves his Grandmom so much that when she hurts, he does too.

I wonder how many of us do this as often as we should. If we don't, I'm thinking maybe we don't love like we should. Just a thought.

No comments: